More fines threatened for troubled north-south buses
Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Author: Liam Mannix, Indaily
MORE public bus services are running late in Adelaide's biggest bus contract area and the State Government is again threatening to fine the company involved.
Transport Services Minister Chloe Fox has issued another "please explain" to north-south operator Light-City Buses after the latest figures showed that nearly four in 10 of its services failed to run on time.
While other service areas showed considerable improvement last year, the north-south routes remain a problem.
Performance figures for the final quarter of last year, released this week, reveal only 61.4 per cent of north-south buses ran on time.
That's down from 62.2 per cent in the July-to-September quarter.
Of the more-than 22,000 trips scheduled for the quarter, 176 did not run at all.
The figures for the north-south routes are worse than in January 2012, with Light-City Buses blaming road works for the poor performance and hoping that another timetable rewrite will solve its problems.
Services on the east-west, hills, outer north and outer south routes - all run by different companies - have all improved substantially since January 2012.
Fox said she'd asked sent a please-explain to Light-City Buses.
"I am very disappointed," she said. "Obviously the performance in that contract area isn't good enough.
To view the full article visit: http://www.indaily.com.au/?iid=74201&sr=0#folio=1